Facts About German Shepherds
Are you thinking about adopting a German Shepherd as part of your family but want to learn more about the breed first? Well the following facts about German Shepherd will help you in your quest.
The German Shepherd is a wonderful breed of dog which many interesting traits and features.
Read on to learn just some of the facts about German Shepherds.
- German Shepherds have a fantastic physical appearance – they are very strong and muscular dogs.
- There are a number of different types of German Shepherd coats – the double coat, the longhaired coat and the plush coat. This coat normally comes in either black and tan, completely black or sable. Less common colors include liver and white and blue.
- One of the facts about German Shepherds that people are interested to learn is how big this breed of dog gets. The German Shepherd is quite a large dog. A male German Shepherd will reach an approximate height of twenty four to twenty six inches (sixty to sixty five centimeters). The female German Shepherd will reach an approximate height of twenty two to twenty four inches (fifty five to sixty centimeters). Both sexes will weigh approximately seventy seven to eight five pounds (thirty five to forty kilograms).
- One of the best facts about German Shepherds is that they have a wonderful nature. They are very brave, calm, alert, loyal and intelligent dogs. This breed is remarkable in the fact that they would give their lives for humans any day of the week. German Shepherds also become very attached to their families but can be unsure of people that they haven’t met before.
- Like all breeds of dog, without training the German Shepherds can become hard to manage. However, if you start training your German Shepherd from early on you should have no problems. As an added bonus, the German Shepherds intelligence makes them easy to train.
- Another one of the facts about German Shepherds that people like to question is “how long does the breed live?” German Shepherds will live approximately thirteen years.
- The German Shepherd breed ideally needs to live in a home with a big backyard. Although if you live in an apartment or small home you can still own a German Shepherd but you will need to exercise them very frequently.
- One of the facts about German Shepherds you need to learn is that this breed requires a lot of exercise. Ideally the German Shepherd breed should be exercised on a daily basis. Any form of exercise will do. From running or walking with your German Shepherd to going to a dog park. Exercising your German Shepherd is also a great way to bond with them.
As you can see from the above facts about German Shepherds, they are wonderful dogs. They have a fantastic physical appearance and amazing nature about them. So if you are thinking about adopting a German Shepherd as part of your family, then you are really making a great choice.